SAUCY LUKES CRAFT BBQ PRESENTS:
SMOKE ON THE WATER II
Saturday March 27th at Hidden Lake in Buckeye
6:00 Check in/ Site Set Up
7:00 Cooks Meeting/Rib Distribution
2:30 Cooking Ends/Turn In 2:40
Turn in time expires/Judging begins/Awards to follow
$130 PER TEAM INCLUDES 4 WRISTBANDS TO EVENT, 12X20 TENT SPACE, 4 ST LOUIS STYLE RIBS. AND ENTRY TO THE COMPETITION
1st: Cash TBD and THE BELT!
2nd: Cash TBD and Trophy
3rd: Cash TBD and Trophy
(Cash amounts are subject to change depending on how many competitors)
Deadline to Sign up is March 20th at 8pm
1. Entries will be judges by a panel of 4 judges
2. Scores will be based on Appearance, Tenderness/Texture, and Taste.
3. The scoring system is 10 (Excellent) to 2 (Bad) any whole number between 9 and 2 can be used to score.
4. The team with the highest overall number will be awarded 1st, 2nd place and 3rd place will be awarded with the second and third highest score respectively. If there is a tie for First, Second or Third, the lowest score from Rib scoring tally will be removed and will be recounted)
Rib Competition Rules
1. Each team may consist of one Chief Cook and up to 4 assistants.
2. Each team is to provide a grill/cooker that will be used exclusively by that team. Wood, Charcoal, gas/propane and electric pellet smoker type BBQs are all allowed. Contestants may not dig pits and fires are not allowed on the ground.
3. A variety of beers for the competitors during the cook time will be supplied, and I will have special pricing on buckets of beer for you all. We want you to have the best time possible but no outside alcohol is permitted.
4. A 12x20 space will be assigned to each team (you should have as much space as you need)
5. Each team is responsible to provide ALL of their own supplies; including pop up tent, tables, chairs, knives, cutting boards, tongs, paper towels and water.
6. If you need electricity please bring your own generator.
7. 4 St Louis Style Racks of ribs will be provided at the cooks meeting at 7am.
8. Cooking may begin immediately following the cooks meeting.
9. Only the provided ribs are to be cooked during the competition.
10. Ribs must be cooked and seasoned on site within the confines of your teams assigned cooking space.
11. Each team will place 4 individually cut ribs in your turn in box. The “Turn In” box will be provided by event staff.
12. No Garnish, OR PARSLEY, side sauce containers or any other foreign object such as foil or skewers are allowed in the “Turn In” box. Failure to comply with this rule will result in disqualification. RIBS ONLY IN THE BOX. Don’t get disqualified for this, I’ve seen it happen. Ribs only in box.
13. You are expected to cook all four racks. The comp is designed so the guests to the festival can walk around and try some competition ribs, with your remaining ribs, we will be offering rib tasting tickets. After you turn in the Rib box to Luke and the judges, we will open the pits to the public. As the guests come through the pits, they will hand you a ticket, you can hand them a single rib. No selling of food of any kind during the event. You may cook for your crew.
14. No pets or animals allowed in cooking area.
15. Teams, participants and contestants in the competition are responsible for cleanup of their area immediately following the contest.
16. A three-compartment sink to wash stuff will be provided and will be available for all teams
17. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR TAKING OUT YOUR OWN TRASH.
18. This is a double-blind rib turn in!!!!! There is no way for other competitors to sway the judges, or convince them during their tasting. It will all go down to the RIB!!!!!! Neither you, the judges, or the other competitors will know your box number until the results are made. As you turn in your box, a number will be provided, each rib will be set in the corresponding number space in front of the judges. Once all the ribs have been judged, and the winners have been announced, you will receive your box number so you can see how each judge scored your ribs. There will be three KCBS judges and one local celebrity judge.
19. COVID-19 DISCLAIMER: COVID 19, has been declared a worldwide pandemic by the World Health Organization. Covid 19 is contagious and is believed to spread easily between people. In general, the more closely a person interacts with others, and the longer that interaction, there is a higher the risk of COVID 19 spreading. WHILE ATTENDING EVENTS AT HIDDEN LAKE GUESTS WILL BE EXPOSED TO MANY PEOPLE AND THE RISK OF CONTRACTING A COMMUNICABLE DISEASE OR ILLNESS IS SERIOUS AND DANGEROUS AND MAY INVOLVE RISK OF SERIOUS ILLNESS AND/OR DEATH. UPON ENTRY TO HIDDEN LAKE PROPERTY YOU VOLUNTARILY ASSUME ALL RISKS, HAZARDS AND DANGERS arising from or relating in any way to the risk of contracting a communicable disease or illness (including exposure to COVID-19, a bacteria, virus, or other pathogen capable of causing a communicable disease or illness), whether occurring before, during, or after the event, however caused or contracted, and hereby waives all claims and potential claims against Hidden Lake, Mladick II, LLC, Hidden Lake, LLC & TopWater, LLC and their officers, agents, and employees relating to such risks. I hereby further agree to INDEMNIFY AND SAVE AND HOLD HARMLESS against Hidden Lake, Mladick II, LLC, Hidden Lake, LLC & TopWater, LLC, and each of them, and their officers, agents, and employees, from any loss, liability, damage, or cost they may incur arising out of or related to illness or death of me, my agents or employees, and/or any person or persons that I purchased a ticket for or sold to while attending or to attend an event Hidden Lake, whether caused by the negligence of the against Hidden Lake, Mladick II, LLC, Hidden Lake, LLC & TopWater, LLC or their officers, agents, employees, or otherwise
THIS COOK OFF IS ALL ABOUT HAVING A GOOD TIME. ENGAGE WITH YOUR FELLOW COMPETITORS, TALK SOME FRIENDLY SH@!. HAVE FUN!!!!
We cannot think of every little detail, but we try to make your contest experience as enjoyable and as fair as possible. Without your participation, we have no event. GOOD LUCK!! Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em!!!